Start and finish at Lees Lane Car Park Wirral Country Park.
Distance 6 miles
Hinderton Arms (Stagecoach X22), Ness Gardens (Arriva 487)
Railway Stations: Neston, Hooton
Car Parking: Lees Lane Wirral Country Park, Ness Village, Station Road Burton, Denhall Quay
- Some of the paths on the first third of this walk can become very muddy in the winter.
- This walk can be extended by about two miles by continuing past the Harp Inn, along the Dee to Parkgate and taking the Wirral Way back to Lees Lane.
1. From Lees Lane Wirral Country Park car park, turn left onto Wirral Way. After about 5 minutes/ 450 metres, the path crosses Cuckoo Lane Bridge.
2. Descend onto Cuckoo Lane (BR No 49) using the path on the right, 15 metres before the bridge. Turn right and walk up the hill.
3. On the brow of the hill and at the junction of paths, turn left through a kissing gate onto FP No 23 past conservation area to T-junction with BR No 51.
4. Turn left to Mill Lane then right towards Ness. CAUTION – this is a single track road, very narrow in places. At the 30 MPH sign, turn right into Flashes Lane. Walk past 4 cottages on the right then on to grassy lane for 25 metres. Turn right onto BR No 52a.
5. Walk on BR No 52a to end of path at Orchard House, then right on FP No 53 to Burton Road opposite Ness Gardens.
6. Turn left towards Burton then join Denhall Lane on right and descend to marshes. Turn right onto FP No 54 at Denhall House, since 2013 part of the Burton Marsh Greenway (National Cycle Route 568), towards The Harp.
7. After about one mile, go through a gate. Just before the first bungalow on the right, turn right at the footpath sign onto FP No 63 (Newhouses Lane). (To visit The Harp Inn, walk on for about 250 metres then retrace your steps to this point.) Bearing right at any junctions, walk to Well Lane.
8. At road junction turn right into centre of Ness Village.
9. At the junction with the main road, turn left towards Neston. When you pass Swan Cottage turn right to enter Cumbers Lane leading to FP No 24.
10. Carry straight on and join FP No 24, across fields towards Woodfall School.
11. Turn right onto BR No 51 and look out for gap on left to join FP No 50 which leads between hedges to rejoin BR No 49.
12. Turn right and descend to Cuckoo Lane Bridge to steps leading to Wirral Way and retrace outward path to Lees Lane Car Park.
Items of interest on or near the route are…
Lees Lane Ponds
Railway Cuttings towards Neston
Swan Cottage Ness (wrongly said to be the birthplace of Lady Hamilton).
Site of former coal mine at Denhall…