Born in Glasgow, Scotland.
A career as a South America Merchant, he built The Lydiate, in Willaston, in 1857, as the family home.
He was a local benefactor and provided the village of Willaston with running water. The Vicarage, a new reredos, enlarged Chancel and vestry in the Parish Church were gifted by him. He paid for the building of Willaston Village School and Village Public Hall.
Along with Christopher Bushell he provided entertainment and parties for the local villagers. See http://www.nestonpast.com/christmas-past/ . He provided school treats and outings for the children of the Clatterbridge Workhouse.
He was a Magistrate and first Chairman of Cheshire County Council
In 1899 when the new telephone exchange was opened, his number was No1!