A large part of Neston belonged to the Mostyn family from 1672, when Sir Thomas Mostyn married the heiress of Neston, Leighton and Thornton Hough.
A large estate map, on which this birds-eye view (below) forms an inset, was drawn for Sir Roger Mostyn – who obtained Neston’s market charter – in 1732.
The original is kept in the archives of University College, Bangor, but a copy is in the Neston Town Trail. The archives also contain a key to this map which tells us who owned or leased these houses at that time.
Notice that the market place is named and enclosed on the north side of the Cross. The large house on the east side of the Cross, with a garden wall in front of it, was the vicarage. It ceased to be used as a vicarage in 1857, but the building remained as a girl’s school until the 1920s. It is now Tesco.
The Mostyn family sold all their Cheshire lands in 1849.
Find out more: