Co-owner, with his brother Charles, of Ness Colliery, opened 1759 by his father Sir John Stanley and four others. The mine was in direct competition with the Cottingham mine at Little Neston. Sir Thomas trespassed on, and then sabotaged the Cottingham mine which led to acrimonious court cases. See http://neston.org.uk/thomas-cottingham-vs-sir-thomas-stanley/ . In the final few years of the mine it was run by Thomas’s son Rowland Errington. It closed in 1855.