Owner of Little Neston Colliery, opened in 1819, on land in Little Neston, next to the mine at Ness, owned by the Stanley family This was in direct competition with the Ness Colliery and gave rise to trespass on, and then sabotage of, the Cottingham mine by Thomas Stanley; this led to acrimonious court cases. See http://neston.org.uk/thomas-cottingham-vs-sir-thomas-stanley/
Thomas Cottingham’s son, also Thomas, took over Little Neston Colliery in 1825 but the subsequent years were very troubled ones with disputes between Cottingham jnr. and his brother, and between Cottingham and the Earl of Shrewsbury. The mine was never very successful and probably closed in about 1845.