Scheduled Monuments in the Neston Area
A scheduled monument is a nationally important archaeological site or monument given legal protection by being placed on a list by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.
An Iron Age promontory fort, which overlooks the estuary of the River Dee, it consists of tree-covered earthworks in the form of a bank and ditch. The area to the north has been quarried for sandstone. To the south of the fort is a burial site that was excavated in 1878, revealing the remains of 50 to 60 burials. It is not known whether these are early Christian, or the remains of a local shipwreck in 1637.
The site once formed a promontory on the Dee. In the early 18th century, a new channel was constructed on the Welsh side of the estuary to improve navigation to the Port of Chester. This led to the headland becoming landlocked to the reclaimed farmland of Sealand.
Denhall hospital and limekiln c 1231–34
Site of St Andrew’s Hospital, a monastic hospital for travellers to Ireland; dissolved in 1496. Later occupied by a parsonage which was demolished in 1738. Now consists of earthworks and parts of ruined buildings; also present are the remains of a limekiln.
You can see the site from Station Road and Denhall Lane, Burton.
Burton Manor icehouse Early 19th century
An ice house in the grounds of Burton Manor. It is cut in rock and has gas lighting and a food preparation area, both unusual features.
The grounds are looked after by Friends of Burton Manor Gardens, and open to the public.
Puddington anti-aircraft gunsite c. 1941
Remains of four gun pits, the command post and ruined ancillary buildings. Built in the Second World War to house heavy anti-aircraft guns.
The site is now part of Home Farm, Puddington.