Neston, Parkgate, Ness, Burton and Willaston have conservation areas. The first conservation area in UK was declared in 1967, so in 2017 the 50th anniversary is being celebrated.

Neston Conservation Area was declared in 1980, and extended in 1989 by Ellesmere Port & Neston Borough Council. In 2001 they published a 12-page character appraisal, from which the map below is taken. This can be found as a pdf (which does not include the map) via here.















To the east, the Conservation Area includes Neston Cross, and the buildings to the east of High Street as far north as the junction with Ladies Walk, but excludes the car parks, the Market Square and the station. It includes buildings to the north of Chester Road as far as the Royal Arcade. It excludes Bridge Court.

To the south the area includes Comrades Field but excludes the Wirral Way. It excludes most of Beechways Drive, but includes the newer part west of the footpath Doctors Styles (which runs from the Wirral Way to Liverpool Road west of the Library). 

The western boundary includes the United Reformed Church and the former Manse (now a private house).

The northern border includes buildings to the south of Buggen Lane and those to the south of Poplar Weint.

English Heritage describe what a conservation area means here. An extract is below.

Property Alterations: If you live in or run a business from a property in a conservation area you may need permission from the Council before making alterations such as cladding, inserting windows, installing satellite dishes and solar panels, adding conservatories or other extensions, laying paving or building walls. As the Council can change the types of alterations that need permission by making Article 4 Directions it is advisable to contact the Council before making arrangements to starting any work.

Trees: If you are thinking of cutting down a tree or doing any pruning work you must notify the Council 6 weeks in advance. This is to give the Council time to assess the contribution the tree makes to the character of the conservation area and decide whether to make a Tree Preservation Order.

Demolition or substantial demolition of a building within a conservation area will usually require permission from the Council.