Distance 10 miles
Car Parking: Station Road, Neston Nearest Railway Stations: Neston and Shotton (Wrexham/ Bidston line) Nearest cycle repairs: Pedal Power, Burton, NESTON 07502 370 261 until 8 p.m; Absolute Bikes, 1 Pinfold Lane Industrial Estate, BUCKLEY CH7 3PL 01244 552 000.
Burton Marsh Greenway (Sustrans Route 568) was officially opened 18 July 2013. A map of the route can be found on the Sustrans website – under East Flintshire: a paper copy is also available in Neston Library – also labelled East Flintshire.
- Along Sustrans Route 56 cross the Millennium bridge. By a wooden sign, turn right along a short track.
- Turn right onto Church Lane; be careful going under the low and narrow bridge.
- Turn right along Route 568 past the Air Cadets building and across Tanks Field.
- The track turns sharp left and joins Flint Drive.
- At the end, turn right onto Allans Meadow.
- At the end, turn right onto West Vale. The Lady Hamilton is a few yards to the left, then right in Henley Road: it serves meals.
- Take the 4th right onto Kenilworth Road, which becomes Homecrofts.
- At the end, turn right onto Marshlands Road, which turns left into Quayside.
The Harp Inn is open every day: it serves meals.
- Keep straight on along the tarmac (and gravel) track alongside the Dee salt marshes. Net’s Coffee Shop at Denhall House Farm offers refreshments 9 – 5 every day in summer, 9 – 4 in winter.
- Join Station Road, Burton, and keep straight on. Up the hill is Ness Gardens, with Garden Kitchen cafe.
- Where the road turns left, turn right via the double gate onto the old Steel Road. Up the hill, in Burton Village, is Burton Manor Cafe, open Fri – Sun 10 – 4.
- Past Burton Point on your left, the track turns left over a cattle grid along the new boardwalk, then up the railway embankment, across the border into Wales, then down.
- Bear left along the old Steel Road and under the 1951 railway bridge, which carries a branch line.
- Turn left onto a road and under the Bidston – Wrexham railway line.
- Turn right up a tarmac track alongside the railway and under the A548 dual carriageway.
- Straight on into Deeside Industrial Park Zone 3, along Tenth Avenue.
- Turn right along Tenth Avenue, following signs. The sign is broken.
- Join a cycle track on the right of the road, then straight on along a bus road, which turns right and left. To the left along Fourth Avenue is Jim Dandy’s Truck Stop CH5 2NR, open 24 hours a day for WC and vending machines, 2 – 10 pm for meals. Or follow signs for Zone 2 along Parkway for Subway , Starbucks and Burger King, all CH5 2NN 19. Follow signs to join National Cycle Route 5.
- Turn left for Chester, or right for Shotton station and North Wales.
- Follow Sustrans Route 568 signs from National Cycle Route 5 into Deeside Industrial Estate Zone 3.
- Straight on along Tenth Avenue.
- Left onto Tenth Avenue.
- Bear right onto track alongside and under A548 dual carriageway.
- Left onto road, under the Bidston – Wrexham railway line.
- Right under 1951 railway bridge.
- Right, before Ministry of Defence signs, onto track up to railway embankment.
- Across the border into England, down embankment and along boardwalk.
- Right along the Old Steel Road, past Burton Point.
- Through double gate and left onto Station Road, Burton.
- Bear left along track alongside Dee salt marsh.
- Straight on along Quayside, and right up Marshlands Road.
- Second left along Homecrofts, which becomes Kenilworth Road.
- Bear left along West Vale.
- Fourth left, by shops, along Allans Meadow.
- Second left along Flint Drive.
- Straight on to tarmac track, which turns right across Tanks Field, with Stanney Brook on the right.
- Left onto Church Lane (ignore the sign saying turn right), be careful under low narrow bridge, and first left aong a short track to Sustrans route 56 (Wirral Way).
- Turn left and over the Millennium Bridge to return to car park Station Road, Neston. To the left along Station Road and right at mini-roundabout are cafes, pubs, restaurants and takeways in Neston. There is a public cycle pump at Neston Cross.